It’s important for a property owner to be able to have positive interactions with tenants. You can facilitate these interactions as early as the move-in walkthrough. Why a move-in walkthrough? Well, it affords you and your tenant a host of benefits. Let’s look at these benefits for property owners and a few best practices for making the most of your move-in walkthrough.
Rethinking the Move-In Walkthrough
Too often, the move-in walkthrough is viewed as more of a tenant’s responsibility than something a landlord does. That isn’t always true, though; both tenant and landlord can benefit from a move-in walkthrough. A walkthrough should happen at both move-in and move-out. For the sake of those who don’t know what a move-in walkthrough is, it’s basically a thorough checking of the property to see if there are any repairs or issues that need to be addressed before the tenant moves in.
It’s quite a sensible thing for Fairhaven property managers to take the move-in walkthrough seriously. Here are a few reasons why that is the case.
- It strengthens your ties with your new tenant. Walking through a property with your tenant gives the impression that you are a responsible landlord who oversees his investment with care; and, that you are open to your tenant’s feedback, too. When tenants can be assured that you will listen to their feedback, they will be more willing to report small issues. This, ultimately, can help reduce repair costs. While you’re at it, you can even run through the “house rules” with your tenant again. These interactions can be the building blocks of a healthy and trusting relationship between you and your tenant.
- It makes it easier for you to have the right amount deducted from the deposit at the end of the lease. For the move-out time to be smooth, you need good documentation of your property’s condition before your tenant moves in. This can help you better gauge wear and tear and other repair issues and provide ample evidence to support any deductions you make from your tenant’s security deposit.
Walkthrough Best Practices
To get the full benefits of a move-in walkthrough, you have to look at some of the best practices. For instance:
- Schedule a walkthrough with your tenant. If possible, ensure a set time that you and your new tenant can conduct a move-in walkthrough together. Use this time to get to know your tenant more through face-to-face interaction, which can foster a good working relationship.
- Use a checklist. Your tenant will most likely need and benefit from a move-in checklist. And then, make sure you give your tenant a hard copy of this checklist. This is a show of good faith as it informs your tenant that you are willing to deal in transparency and openness.
- Take photos. Make sure to take pictures of any issues you find, so as to properly document them. Pictures provide references for both repairs and comparisons for when it’s time to conduct the move-out walkthrough.
These move-in walkthroughs might take time, but there are a lot of benefits that come from having them. If your rental property isn’t anywhere near your residence, then this will mean more time allocated for the process. You will benefit from someone who can handle all of what is needed to maximize these processes. At Real Property Management Success, we provide a full range of services that help rental property owners make the most of their investments. Call 908-239-7579 today to learn more!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.